Meshing the natural earth data polygons

Home Forums Advice & Tutorials Software & Services Meshing the natural earth data polygons

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

pushframework
    Participant

Hi there,

Thanks for this great ge-database.

Can someone advise on a working meshing tool/library upon natural earth data ?

I already managed to do this on the 110m scale version using the algo from Geometric tools.

But it is incredibly slow on the 50m and 10m scale versions (Also had to exclude some data which cause the algo to crash). Also I hate that the ear clipping algo had simplified the data too much.

I tested the famous Triangle algo, too but it crashed on all versions.

I tested the CGAL algorithm after painful hours to only get a 1 mn 40 s duration result !

I am really jealous that ESRI ArcView was able to read and visualize (after meshing of course) the 10m-scale data in less that 10 seconds;

please help

Thanks in advance.

Nathaniel
    Keymaster

Can you provide example or link? I have no idea what you are trying to do or the use case.

pushframework
    Participant

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5o7J9neclO0/TgUippRYWfI/AAAAAAAAAsQ/nBQ9FQMwgd0/meshedearth.png

the meshing is not good there as you can see, but it is essential to be able to “manipulate” countries as polygons rather than contours.

my goal is to create a reusable data visualization component. for example you can add symbols to lo/lat points, color countries with different colors (according to certain measure etc)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.