river polygons?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

hughstimson
    Participant

This is a fabulous dataset.

I would love to have a complementary river polygons layer, to supplement the existing river centerlines layer. Perhaps just for the big rivers, e.g. amazon.

Just a thought for the future, I’m super grateful for everything that is already here.

Nathaniel
    Keymaster

Thanks, Hugh! We might consider adding this but as you point out, only the very largest river systems towards their mouths should receive this treatment at our scale. Do you have a good source for this? In the meantime, you can approximate this by taking the smallest scale ranks (largest rivers) and outlining their width tapering and applying a fill and stroke to them.

hughstimson
    Participant

Hi Nathaniel,

I can’t think of any global sources of that data offhand, and even at the national scale the openly available data I’m aware of would require substantial generalization to fit into the NE sets.

I’ll keep an eye open for an appropriate source.

If it could be accomplished I think it would be real boon. When I think for instance of the greater Vancouver area, even at the 1:50m level there is a significant discrepancy between the real world and the display available using stream centerlines. The Fraser delta has a regional-scale imprint on the landscape.

In the meantime, I’ll try out your symbology ideas, thanks for those!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.