Error or bad geometry in 10m Ocean shapefile

Home Forums Natural Earth Map Data Physical Vectors Ocean Error or bad geometry in 10m Ocean shapefile

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

gmaasry
    Participant

Hi, thanks guys for providing these great shapes.

Recently I’ve been getting very strange behavior and crashing from QGIS when trying to edit / merge / basically use at all one of the shapes contained in the 10m Ocean set. It’s record number 47, which is a region of the northern Atlantic, bordering northern Europe, Greenland and parts of Canada. I wonder if anyone has found an error therein already, and whether a fixed / cleaned shape is available?

Nathaniel
    Keymaster

You might try clipping that ocean shapefile with a ±90 ±180 bounding box. Some open source tools don’t like polys that are outside of the normal extents (eg: part of that polygon might be north of 90°). Hoping to fix that in the data eventually, sorry for the inconvenience!

gmaasry
    Participant

Nathaniel thanks so much for your help!

I have to admit I’m really a “newbie” with QGIS and I’m not totally sure how to use a bounding box. Is it a feature of QGIS itself or an alteration I need to make in another piece of software?

holgerschurig
    Participant

You should file a bug for the QGIS software.

If a software crashes when presented with bad data, it’s always a bug. Software should never crash, it should present an error message or otherwise deal with bad data.

Also, there’s the chance that they fix the bug and that future QGIS version could load the file as-is, without hickup.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.