Border thickness problem in plain cross-blend hypso?

Home Forums Natural Earth Map Data Raster Cross Blended Hypsometric Tints Border thickness problem in plain cross-blend hypso?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Shriramana Sharma
    Participant

Hello. My sincere congratulations and gratitude to you for doing this great service of Natural Earth Data!

Now I’m trying to extract a portion alone from the plain cross-blended hypso TIFF image available from https://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/10m-cross-blend-hypso/cross-blended-hypso/. I tried both the high and medium resolution images. However when I convert it to PNG, I find that even small islands turn up as blotches and land-masses which have a strait between them become joined (ex: Palk Strait India and Sri Lanka and IIUC even the Gibraltar Strait seen in your sample image at the above URL). I suspect that the border of the bodies is being drawn with a thick pen or something but I do not know enough about the internals of the TIFF format to make a correct judgment.

I should tell you that the ImageMagick convert utility which I am using to do this is giving the following warnings. (I do not know if they are relevant or not):

convert.im6: Unknown field with tag 33550 (0x830e) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory’ @ warning/tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/768.
    convert.im6: Unknown field with tag 33922 (0x8482) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory’ @ warning/tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/768.
    convert.im6: Unknown field with tag 34735 (0x87af) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory’ @ warning/tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/768.
    convert.im6: Unknown field with tag 34737 (0x87b1) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory’ @ warning/tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/768.
    convert.im6: Unknown field with tag 33550 (0x830e) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory’ @ warning/tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/768.
    convert.im6: Unknown field with tag 33922 (0x8482) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory’ @ warning/tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/768.
    convert.im6: Unknown field with tag 34735 (0x87af) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory’ @ warning/tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/768.
    convert.im6: Unknown field with tag 34737 (0x87b1) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory’ @ warning/tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/768.

Anyhow, I am unable to use the images because of this. I even tried Photoshop (thinking the bug may have been with ImageMagick) but the same was seen in CS5 also (I do not have access to a more recent version).

Please advise. Thanks again for your great work!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.