1:10m Cross-blended Hypsometric Tints in higher resolution – 1:5m?

Home Forums Natural Earth Map Data Raster Cross Blended Hypsometric Tints 1:10m Cross-blended Hypsometric Tints in higher resolution – 1:5m?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Honigbaum
    Participant

Hello!

A while ago we’ve found your world map “1:10m Cross-blended Hypsometric Tints” and loved it! But we need it in a higher resolution.

Is there any chance to get the map in resolution 1:5m?

Thank you in advance

Torben

Nathaniel
    Keymaster

@Torben: The suggested approach is to use the hypso with no relief shading from the Natural Earth site and then make your own hillshade and blend the two together for resolutions not at the same scale as the provided data.

Honigbaum
    Participant

Hello Nathaniel!

Thank you for your fast response.

I’m new to this subject, so I don’t know if I understand everthing right. With “hypso with no relief shading” do you mean this on: http://www.shadedrelief.com/natural/pages/download.html? So if I’m right this map has a scale about 1:6,6m? The only difference are the elevation colors?

And “make your own hillshade” sounds so easy? But I’ve no idea how to do that?

My problem is, that I want to use the map with OpenLayers and for this, the resolution of 21,600px isn’t enough. So I need about 43,200px to show all zoomlevels in good quality.

Nathaniel
    Keymaster

@Torben: You will be stretching Natural Earth past it’s limits to use it in your application. The link I am talking about is here: https://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/10m-cross-blend-hypso/cross-blended-hypso/

The ‘large size’ does not have relief shading in it and will scale to your target resolution better. But then it does not have relief shading in it. So you’d need to create that somehow and blend it in (could be as simple as setting the transparency of the hillshade to 50% and overlaying it on top of the above file. It may be better for you to generate a hillshade at 250 meter cell resolution and use that instead. These files get quite large to deal with, besides needing specialized software and requiring hours of time.

Good luck,

_Nathaniel

Honigbaum
    Participant

Thank you! Now I understand everthing. I’ll try my best :)

Honigbaum
    Participant

Hello Nathaniel!

I’ve successfully done you described steps. But now I want to use the world country vector file, so that I can erase the needless land colors. For the first steps I’ve used Photoshop, but which tool do you recommend for the last step?

Thank you

Nathaniel
    Keymaster

You should be able to do this just by using the new TIF you made and laying the ocean over it as a vector file in your normal GIS application.

_Nathaniel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.